Thursday, June 7, 2012

                                               WHEN IS A FATHER NOT A FATHER?

Are you a Father that has a child that was not born during a marriage?  Are you a Father currently living with your significant other and child?  If so, did you know that in Florida you most likely do not have any parental rights to that child?

Many Father’s do not realize that just signing a birth certificate does not legally give you rights to your child if you were not married to the child’s mother at the time of birth.  In Florida, a Father who signs the birth certificate is merely presumed to be the legal Father.  In order for a Father to have legal rights to a child, he has to go through a process called a Paternity Action.  During this Paternity Action, the Father can be established and recognized as the minor child’s legal Father.  Prior to this action, the Father does not have any rights except in a few situations. 

One of the mains exceptions to this rule is where the Mother has instituted a Department of Revenue Administrative Action against you.  Thereafter, if the Department of Revenue determines, either by admission, failure to respond, or DNA test, that you are the biological Father of the minor child, then the Department of Revenue can establish child support and hold you accountable to provide for the minor child.  However, this is not the same thing as a Paternity Action in Family Law Court.  The Department of Revenue can only deal with money issues.  In order to have your rights, whether they are visitation or parental responsibilities, established you must go through a separate Paternity Action in Family Court.  Until you do so, you will have no rights to the minor child, other than the responsibility to pay child support. 

Therefore, if you have not been legally adjudicated to be the legal father of your child, or if you are unsure if your rights have been established, you should contact a family law attorney to find out your rights.  Even if you are currently living with the Mother of the child, it is still important for Father’s to be declared the legal Father of the minor child, incase something were to happen to the Mother.  If you are not already designated as the legal father, this could cause you problems or even allow the minor child to be removed from your care, should something happen to the Mother.   

Please visit for more information.

--Jamie V. Simons, Esquire


  1. Wow! This one has a lot of information that I really need thanks for sharing this post. A highly recommended post to ready, I will share this post to foreclosure illinois

  2. Being a father after your child was born and even after you have signed the birth certificate doesn't end there. A father is more than what defines a father, it's a responsibility that you're gonna take forever no matter what it takes or cost you. But it doesn't also mean that being not a good husband, you can't be a good father to your children. Know more of your rights here

  3. To be an effective father, you can skip most of them and concentrate on common sense rules that have always worked. Many parents spend time threatening their children when their kids aren’t cooperating.

    Dayton Business Lawyer

  4. Good post! Thanks for sharing this information I appreciate it. God bless!

    Family Attorney Saugus MA